The FRDO-CFDD has already organised several seminars, webinars and conferences on the subject of metals and transition, analysing future metal requirements, the opportunities offered by the circular economy, etc. (you can find them here: https://frdo-cfdd.be/en/events-en/).
The aim of this conference is to continue this work by tackling the crucial issue of resource extraction: what are the opportunities in Europe and Belgium? What are the limits? How can environmental impacts be minimised? How can we guarantee optimum conditions for workers and local residents? Is there such a thing as a “sustainable mine”? Is deep-water mining the future?
To find out more about all these topical issues, the FRDO-CFDD is organising a conference in Brussels on Monday 23 October 2023.
The conference will last all day, and lunch will be provided at midday. Simultaneous translation (FR-NL-EN) will be available.
- 9:30 – 10:00 : registration & welcome coffee
- 10:00 – 10:10 : introduction – Patrick Dupriez, Chairman of the Council
- 10:10 – 10:40 : Critical Raw Materials – System Change Approach – Janez Potočnik, former European Commissioner for the Environment and currently co-president of the International Resource Panel of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- 10:40 – 11:10 : Environmentally and socially responsible mining and refining – Peter Tom Jones, Director KU Leuven Institute for Sustainable Metals and Minerals at KU Leuven
- 11:10 – 11:40 : Eric Pirard, Professor, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Department of Mineral Resources & Geological Imaging
- 11:40 – 12:10 : Q&A and debate
- 12:10 – 13:30 : Lunch
- 13:30 – 13:45 : Nicolas Vasbinder, Quarry Manager at Carmeuse Western Europe
- 13:45 – 14:00 : Romain Gelin, Researcher at GRESEA
- 14:00 – 14:20 : Belgium and deep sea mining – structures, views and stakeholder participation – Steven Vandenborre, Marine environment lawyer, FPS Public Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment. In the name of the FPS Public Health, Economy and Foreign Affairs
- 14:20 – 14:40 : Coffee Break
- 14:40 – 14:55 : Kris Van Nijen, Managing Director at Global Sea Mineral Resources
- 14:55 – 15:10 : Sarah Vanden Eede, Oceans & Fisheries Policy Officer, WWF
- 15:10 – 15:40 : Q&A and debate
- 15:40 – 16:00 : Conclusions – Jan Mertens, staff member of the Council
Attendance is free, and you can follow the conference either in person (which we recommend!) or from a distance. You can register now for this event:
On-site participation: https://frdo-cfdd-admin.be/Account/JoinForum/1217/
Participation by distance: https://frdo-cfdd-admin.be/Account/JoinForum/1218/
If you have any questions, please contact Fabrice Dehoux (02/743 31 53 – Fabrice.firstname.lastname@example.org).